Sunday, February 10, 2008

New Keyboard

I had the same keyboard for many years from my 486 through a couple years ago. However, it started spazzing out, probably after too many things had been spilled on it. As a cheap stop-gap, I plopped down $10 for a new one instead of just getting one from the Goodwill (I don't remember why).

Today, after 2 years of the "temporary stop-gap", I finally bought a new keyboard. I had been holding out for a famed IBM Model-M. However, today I hit it lucky. I stopped by the ReStore after church and there were a couple keyboards. One was logo'ed by a local computer company (which must have closed or moved, I don't recognize the name and the address is now a sporting goods store...). It's a Win-95 keyboard so it's not terribly old. However, I flipped it over and it actually had a real brand on it! It's a KEY TRONIC!!! How lucky is that? I paid $4 for a KeyTronic E03601QLPS2-C. Googling shows prices anywhere from $25 to nearly $100. It's nice...

I finally have a keyboard that feels solid instead of something that would warp if you twisted it. It's actually quieter though, the old one had a cheap loud click to it, whereas this has a nice solid muffled sound. It may be still a membrane keyboard (my long-lasting one had plastic switches) but it's a beautiful thing to have a solid, full-travelling keyboard again!

No comments: